carreg.co.uk Number Plates Forum

Private Number Plates & Car Registrations

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:56 am 
Diamond Member

there are so many 'types' of number plate (suffix, prefix, current) each with their own format that the 'pattern recognition' argument for witnesses no longer holds.
the UK is the most surveyed country in the world - cameras have become the 21st century equivalent of a 'witness' anyway ...
the dvla actively encourage you to 'find your name' and then impose fines if you dare to display the plate as your name!
it's time for this inverted pyramid of piffle to be put the right way up!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:24 pm 
Silver Member

yes, they allow you to search by name to help you get through the 20 odd million plates for sale and find things that are relevant - either by name, car model or whatever.

My name is Paul Thomas. So I search for Paul. It comes up with P4 ULT for £500 or whatever. It alo has P5 ULT, P6 ULT, P7 ULT for £255. Wow, I'm happy.

I decide the first is better as the 4 looks closer to an A than a 5/6/7 does. No problems there. I understant it costs more as it looks better and they're a commercial organisation at the end of the day. I equally understand A1 ABC costs more than A2 ABC, becasue it's generally a better sequence of numbers. That's life.

Their advert for P4 ULT is correctly spaced. They warn me beforehand not to misspace it and it could be taken off me if I do. Or a £1k fine. It's my decision whether to buy...

Where in that are they encouraging me to misspace it as P4UL T? How are they complicit if I decide to do so?

Only crappy sites such as Regmaker.com advertise misspaced plates for sale.

I don't dispute the law may need looking at, and the reasons re: ANPR cameras is not true either (as it has to be able to differentiate from a 2 digit plate to a 7 digit one), but until then, the decision is purely and solely the puchaser's. And as a 'dealer', YOU are encouraging it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:45 pm 

fazfram wrote:
the dvla actively encourage you to 'find your name' and then impose fines if you dare to display the plate as your name!
The DVLA do NOT impose fines on you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:06 pm 
Diamond Member

same s**t different smell ...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:15 pm 

Proper spelt registrations sold for fortunes because they look like the word or name LEGALLY spaced!
K1 NGS, P1 LOT, S1 MON, etc
Spacing regulations should remain as they are or Police should get tougher? however the DVLA do auction numbers whereby it is clear (despite the gov disclaimers) that the owners intention would be to mis-space to get the desired effect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:22 pm 
Silver Member

Sebbo3005 wrote:
Proper spelt registrations sold for fortunes because they look like the word or name LEGALLY spaced!
K1 NGS, P1 LOT, S1 MON, etc
Spacing regulations should remain as they are or Police should get tougher? however the DVLA do auction numbers whereby it is clear (despite the gov disclaimers) that the owners intention would be to mis-space to get the desired effect

owner's intention - yes, it's their choice. encouraging it - no

I haven't mis-spaced P4 ULT incorrectly even thought I bought it from DVLA and know it will look better

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:09 pm 

my friend purchased a current style registration from DVLA and very slightly mis spaced the lettering. She lives in the Bristol area and got stopped by the police within a week of the number being transferred. She had to report to her local police station with evidence that she was now displaying the reg correctly. Seems very unfair others seem to get away with it, depends where you live I think!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:05 am 
Silver Member

of course it does, so does everything car related as it comes down the Police authority in that area. North Wales are stringent on speeding than authorities for example etc.. that's life

ps - I like the way you tried to justify it by ''very slightly mis-spaced" - either it's mis-spaced or it's not. She bought from DVLA so she knew the rules. She's a chav for chosing to mis-space and I'm glad she got stopped, and had to report to the police, and hopefully she got fined too.

Reggie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:52 am 

NO she didnt get fined!! in fact police at the station couldnt believe she had been bought in over something so minor/petty!!! When I said slightly mis spaced I am only talking about a coulple of ml. I see far worse that seem to get away with it (this I dont agree with) By the way shes far from being a chav!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:31 am 
Silver Member

well you're wrong there as she had an illegally spaced plate so is therefore a chav.

I doubt VERY VERY much that a police officer said they couldn't believe one of their colleagues had pulled her over for it as they are enforcing the law!

ps - how is a measurement of liquids (ml you said) suitable for measuring distance between letters on a plate?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:54 am 

Your entitled to you opinion! I can see you like to have the last word.

PS didnt realise I was sitting an exam! You only need half a brain to realise that I meant mm. Have got more important thinks to do at the moment like work!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:24 am 
Silver Member

Gosh, your spelling really is quite bad isn't it

Your (should be you're) entitled to you (should be your) opinion! I can see you like to have the last word.

PS didnt (didn't) realise I was sitting an exam! You only need half a brain to realise that I meant mm - so why say ml then? Seems I have the full brain and you have the half brain as I spotted it and you can't write or spell for toffee. Have got more important thinks (things) to do at the moment like work!!! Run along then.

and from your previous post:

NO she didnt (didn't) get fined!! in fact police at the station couldnt (couldn't) believe she had been bought (brought) in over something so minor/petty!!! When I said slightly mis spaced (mis-spaced) I am only talking about a coulple (couple) of ml (mm). I see far worse that seem to get away with it (this I dont (don't) agree with). By the way shes (she's) far from being a chav!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:28 am 
Diamond Member

Lol, don't mess with RTR! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:41 pm 

thanks RTR your comments are MUCH appreciated!! Iwill take more care next time :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:18 pm 

The law is Black and White, it's either legal or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:00 pm 
Silver Member

swerv wrote:
thanks RTR your comments are MUCH appreciated!! Iwill (I will) take more care next time :roll:

I'm glad, but clearly not enough care to ensure you remember to put a space between "I" and "will"

I know you're clearly a fan of mis-spaced things, but taking your love of "slightly mis-spaced" plates into your own sentences is taking it a bit far wouldn't you say!?