carreg.co.uk Number Plates Forum

Private Number Plates & Car Registrations

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:02 pm 

I thought I would get valuations on 3 No. plates, one co. offered to buy outright, but the offers were so low I was disgusted and can't help thinking they were trying to take the p#ss advantage of my lack of knowledge, for instance I bought one No. about 20yrs ago for £1000.00, one co. offered £625.00, another co. offered £1322.00. for the same plate, which in itself shows an amazing 100% difference in valuation. I thought plates increased in value, not decreased, or is it every man/woman for themselves. ELITE REGISTRATIONS offered the £625.00, I think the signature on the offer doc. was Mr. D. Turpin
Comments Please...........

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:57 pm 

What number was it? Depending on who you get your plate valued with does affect price. Bigger, more established dealers will give you a better idea of value as they have a better idea of what plates are fetching at that time. But remember that the plate will only apeal to a few people if it is not a cherished number so dealers offering you lower prices to buy outright will have to wait longer to see there money + profit back.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:54 pm 

Thanks for your comments RichieB, the No. is OO 5086 005086 I was told it is an old 1963 Essex reg. looks fantastic on any car, it is worth far more than offered or I was ripped of big style by Midland Registrations 18yr ago, I look forward to your comments.
Dave........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:41 pm 

Certainly a very eye catching number, the only problem with it would be to find a suitable buyer. People tend to get plates with nicknames,initails, DOB etc. . . So realy it wouldnt be a very fast mover hence proberbly the low offers. Numbers are a very personal thing and if you have had this for a number of years then advertise it for how much you want for it and if your not in a rush to sell then wait and see if it apeals to sombody as much as it did to you when you got it.
If it were to be mis-represented it could look like oo so 86, Maybe for someone born in 86 or even an 86 registered car?
Personaly it would be a number i would be interested in, as i was born around that time so if you do want to sell let me know what your after and we will disguss.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:17 pm 

Thank's for your advice RichieB, but I think I will keep hold of it for now, I do have L11 NET & B1 UEG, The B1 UEG is on retention, I would sell that at the right price, what do you think price wise.
Regards, Dave........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:02 pm 

Dont blame you, must be very sentimental if you have owned it for that long. B1 UEG i would expect to be worth around £2000-£2500, thing is tho what a plate is worth and what a plate sells for are 2 different things. Again i would be interested in buying it, but if i were you i would keep hold of it for another few years and you will see closer to its value.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:23 pm 

OO 5086

The nearest number I could find is OO 5484 @ £4595 8)

Also available is OO 1114 @ £5895, OO 1908 @ £4500, OO 8862 @ £2500 8)

These are retail prices, now theres two ways of looking at it, they could be over priced thats why they're still available or people can't afford them due to our economic climate, I would think yours is worth around £1,700 minimum to a dealer? (Guestimate) based on the retail price of OO 8862. You cannot compare your number with OO 1908 or OO 1114 because they're much more appealing. I reckon retail your looking at £2,500 - £4,500 (if you can find someone which the numbers are relevant).
Shame it wasn't OO 7086 co's a JB fan would probably pay top dollar? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:12 pm 

Thank's for the info Joeblunt, as I said originally "it's a mine field to me" but I think I will hold on for now as I don't need that sort of money, I may still sell B1 UEG if a reasonable offer comes my way as I have had it on retention for 3yrs. and I won't be putting it on a vehicle.
Thanks once again..............

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:19 pm 

You must also balance the cost of renewing retention fees against potential profit too when considering offers. If you keep a number on retention for years then its costing you £25 per year off your profit so weigh it all up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:54 pm 

I have only ever bought plates for my own use, so profit margins don't really come into the equation, but like everyone else, I like the going price for anything I sell.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:41 pm 
Bronze Member

in my experience elite reg offer ridiculously low prices so I don't bother speaking to them!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:31 pm 

Yes I agree with you, they do seem to have a bad name, I know quite a number of people who have had issues with them.
Regards, Dave..........

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:34 pm 
Bronze Member

Elite registrations offer valuations that are quite frankly Shameful but then so does every big company, You have to remember they are in it to win it (so to speak)! Whatever bollocks you may hear from them about wanting to help their customers and get as much as they can for your plate, it is all a lot of crap, they are in it for the money, they are dealers, the quicker you people realise this the easier it will be to simply research and price your own plates.

Example of this. We got a lot of valuations done on a number of plates from them, along with a number of other companies.
If we look at 5 plates that are now subsequently sold we can see that the turnover on these particular 5 plates was £11,600.
We had valuations from elite amounting to just over £1300!!!
****** were valuing at £3200 and newreg collectively the best valuation at £4,100.

however, from this simple exercise you can see that all three basically talk whatever shit they want to at that particular time!
Completely Absurd to Value WA12 ENS at £300-£400, similarly ME11ENY at £1,500!!!

On top of this...we own MC61 VEN and MC62 EGR, the former is perfect and the later is the best possible plate ever released for the surname MCGREGOR, yet a combined valuation (which we now just laugh at) comes in at around £2,000. This no longer bothers us as we have learned to expect utter shite from the big companies.

Just price and sell for what you think they are worth or wish to accept, In a way you can forget the big companies opinions as they are only another individuals opinion at the end of the day! If you know something or enough about reg plates then their opinion is no worse or better than your own in any way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:35 pm 
Bronze Member

********* above = re g tran sf ers